This savory strudel marries the full flavor of sheep’s cheese from the Pyrenees with sauteed mushrooms and leeks.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Cooking time: 35 minutes, plus baking and standing time
Shelf life: 3 days unbaked and refrigerated; 1 day baked
- ½ pound each baby bella and white mushrooms, wiped and stems removed
- 2 tablespoons fragrant olive oil
- 2 ounces thinly sliced white and pale green parts of a leek (1 large or 2 medium)
- 4 ounces (1 cup) freshly grated sheep’s milk cheese, such as Brébis from the French Pyrenees
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt, if needed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- ¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the baby bella and white mushrooms and pulse until fairly finely chopped. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium, heat the olive oil. Add the leek and saute until limp and golden, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they have given up their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Scrape into a medium bowl and set aside until cooled, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375 F.
- Once the mushroom mixture is cool, stir in the cheese, marjoram, thyme and mustard. Add the salt, if needed, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Brush a jellyroll pan with a little butter. On a clean towel, lay one sheet of phyllo horizontally, brush with butter and sprinkle on about 2 tablespoons of the crumbs; repeat with the second sheet. Lay the third sheet on the others but do not brush with butter. Spoon the mushroom mixture in a thick strip along one long edge of the phyllo, leaving a ½-inch border on the shorter sides. Roll the phyllo up tightly, turning in the sides, and place it seam-side down in the pan. Brush with the remaining butter and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 30 minutes. Remove and let stand for at least 5 minutes before cutting into slices with a serrated knife.
NUTRITIONAL DATA (per serving): Calories: 200; Cholesterol: 15 mg; Sodium: 240 mg; Fat: 12 g; Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Ingredient Cost Sheets
|½ pound each baby bella and white mushrooms, wiped and stems removed||$2.69-4.49|
|2 tablespoons fragrant olive oil||$.18-.30|
|2 ounces thinly sliced white and pale green parts of a leek (1 large or 2 medium)||$.70-1.16|
|4 ounces (1 cup) freshly grated sheep’s milk cheese, such as Brébis from the French Pyrenees||$5.25-8.75|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram leaves||$.07-.12|
|1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves||$.05-.08|
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard||$.06-.10|
|5 tablespoons melted butter||$.25-.42|
|3 sheets phyllo dough, thawed||$.53-.88|
|¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs||$.08-.14|