These addictive cheesy-crunchy bites work well as snacks or as a soup or salad garnish. Be sure that the leaves are completely dry before rubbing them with oil to ensure crispness. Try with a little chile powder or other seasonings as well.
Yield: about 3 ounces
Cooking time: about 45 minutes
Shelf life: Best in 1 to 2 days stored in a dry atmosphere
- 5 ounces stemmed small curly or lacinato kale leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grated imported parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, if desired
- Heat the oven to 275 F.
- In a large bowl, toss the leaves with the oil, rubbing the leaves to cover. Add the parmesan and salt and toss to cover evenly. Spread in even layers on one or two baking pans, season lightly with salt and pepper, and bake until the leaves are crisp, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating the pans from top to bottom halfway through. Remove the leaves to a baking rack and cool. Store carefully in an airtight container.
NUTRITIONAL DATA (per serving): Calories: 190; Cholesterol: 10 mg; Sodium: 540 mg; Fat: 16 g; Dietary Fiber: 1 g